Few things are more frustrating than dealing with a pest problem. Whether it’s ants in your kitchen or mice in your attic, getting rid of unwanted critters can be a real challenge.
Bleach is a common household cleaning product, and some people swear by its effectiveness in helping get rid of pests.
In general, bugs, mice, and other pests dislike the smell of bleach. Its strong fumes can keep them away for a short period of time. We say short because the effect of bleach is not permanent.
Sure, they can repel common pests like roaches, mice, and ants, but once the fumes dissipate, the pests will come back.
Why Bleach is Not a Permanent Pest Control Solution
Mice don’t like how bleach smells. Cockroaches would stay away from counters that were recently cleaned with bleach. Mice consuming food or water that has been contaminated with bleach may die.
Flies and mosquitoes wouldn’t dare go near a room that reeks of bleach. Bleach works as a great cleaning agent for mice droppings and for getting rid of bacteria brought in by these rodents.
But as we said, the effects are only temporary.
As much as we would like to think that a few drops of bleach will keep pests away for good, it, unfortunately, doesn’t work that way. The pungent odor may be enough to keep the pests away – but not for long.
Keeping them away from your property for good would require something more than just a temporary solution.
Here are some reasons why bleach may not be the permanent pest control solution you’re looking for.
Bleach Per Se Isn’t Safe for You and Your Family
Bleach fumes can dissipate, and you can just re-apply, right? Wrong. You can’t repeatedly use bleach around your home as it’s not good for you or your family’s health. Repeated exposure to bleach fumes can cause serious respiratory problems.
If you want to use this as a pest control solution, this means that you have to use large quantities of bleach and re-apply every few hours, all throughout the day and throughout the entire week. That’s a large amount of bleach and a lot of fumes. It would be better to just look for other pest control solutions that don’t involve using such harsh chemicals.
If you have kids or even pets at home, the smell alone can make them nauseous. It can also irritate their skin and eyes. and the lining of their respiratory tract.
Bleach contains active ingredients that are corrosive. Ingesting or inhaling these chemicals can cause serious health problems. In fact, kids consistently exposed to bleach fumes have a higher risk of developing and triggering asthma.
You Need Large Quantities to Make This Work
A general cleaning project with the use of bleach requires large quantities for a thorough cleaning. The more surface area you’re trying to cover, the more bleach you’ll need to use.
This can be a problem if you’re trying to keep pests away, as the strong fumes produced by bleach can also be too much for you and your family to handle.
Bleach Only Kills on Contact
Another reason why using bleach as a pest control solution is not ideal is that it only kills on contact. If there are pests lurking in hard-to-reach areas, chances are the bleach won’t be able to reach them.
They will only be killed once they come into contact with the substance.
This is why it’s important to have a comprehensive pest control plan that will target all the potential hiding spots of these pests.
Bleach is Also Harmful to the Environment
With Mother Nature already dealing with a lot of environmental problems, the last thing we need is to contribute to pollution. Unfortunately, that’s what will happen if you regularly use bleach as a pest control solution. Using bleach for cleaning our homes is one thing, but adding more than your regular usage is another thing.
Overdosing on bleach can lead to water poisoning. When diluted, bleach can seep into the soil and contaminate groundwater. This can have a ripple effect as it can also affect the plants and animals that rely on this water source.
Bleach is also one of the leading causes of air pollution. The fumes it emits can be harmful to humans, animals, and the environment.
You Can’t Use Bleach on All Surfaces
Diluting bleach and water and spraying it on all surfaces is not advised. Bleach can damage some materials and surfaces. For example, using bleach on wood can cause the wood to rot.
Metal surfaces can also be corroded by bleach. And if you’re planning on using it on your countertops, make sure it’s granite or quartz, as bleach can damage marble countertops.
What Can You Use Instead of Bleach?
There are commercially available products that are specifically made to get rid of pests. Bleach is a cleaning agent – a cleaning solution that helps get rid of dirt, grime, and stains. It’s concentrated enough to kill pests, but this is not what it’s specifically made for.
Alternatively, there are a number of safe and effective pest control solutions that don’t involve the use of harsh chemicals. You can try using natural pest control solutions like diatomaceous earth or boric acid.
You can also opt for mechanical traps or devices that will help get rid of pests in your home.
If you’re looking for a more comprehensive pest control solution, you can always contact a professional exterminator. This is by far the most effective and safest way to get rid of pests in your home.
Aside from their experience, professional pest control exterminators can carefully assess all the pests in your home and recommend the best course of action. They will also be able to advise you on how to prevent pests from coming back in the future.
Bleach can kill pests on contact, but it’s not an ideal pest control solution. Its pungent smell can keep pests like mice away, but it takes a large amount of bleach to be able to keep up with this repelling effect.
Not only is it harmful to the environment, but you’re also putting your family’s health at risk.
There are better alternatives for keeping pests – including commercial pest control products and hiring a professional pest control company.